Posts tagged as: second

Nigeria: Benue Assembly Bans Use of Tyres in Meat Processing

By George Okoh

Makurdi — Benue State House of Assembly friday banned the use of tyres and other harmful materials used in roasting meat across the state in view of their health hazards to meat consumers.

The assembly directed that butchers and slaughterers should use fire wood instead of tyres, fuel and synthetic materials in roasting meat.

The Speaker of the assembly, Mr. Terkimbi Ikyange, announced the resolutions of the assembly after a debate on a substantive motion moved by the member representing Katsina Ala East, Mr. Ianna Jato.

Theassembly also directed the Ministry of Health and Human Services and that of Agriculture and Natural Resources to effectively regulate the activities of butchers and abattoirs in Makurdi and other parts of the state to forestall health and environmental hazards.

Earlier, Jato informed the assembly that the use of tyres in processing meat by butchers was a source of concern, adding that tyres are made of synthetic rubber, natural rubber, fabric, wire, carbon black and other chemical components that are unhealthy for human consumption.

According to him, the United States Agency for Toxic Substances and Diseases Registry revealed that tyres contain several heavy metals such as zinc, lead and copper that can be carcinogenic when exposed to consumers over a period of time.

All those who contributed to the debate expressed concerned over the use of tyres to process meat and stressed the need to halt the trend.

Nigeria

IMF Borrowed From Nigeria in 1974 – Former Finance Minister

Minister of Finance in the Second Republic, Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji, said yesterday the International Monetary Fund, IMF,… Read more »

Zimbabwe: Mugabe Computers Obsolete Before Use

Thousands of computers donated by President Robert Mugabe to rural schools have remained unused years on and have become obsolete still in their packages owing to widespread technological illiteracy among the teachers, a senior government official has said.

President Mugabe has, since 2000, been “donating” computers to primary and secondary schools around the country.

But according to deputy Information Communication Technology and Courier Services minister, Win Mlambo, government’s efforts to intensify internet uptake was being hampered by digital illiteracy among teachers.

He was officially opening the second internet governance multi-stakeholder conference organized by the Media Institution of Southern Africa -Zimbabwe chapter (MISA) in Harare on Thursday.

Mlambo said as a result thousands of computers which President Mugabe donated to schools have not been used owing to lack of digital knowledge.

“Most of these computers which the President is donating to almost 9000 schools which we have in the country are becoming and have become obsolete in their packages,” said deputy minister Mlambo.

“Some of the reasons given by headmasters and teachers in these schools are that they are illiterate and they ask us that how we can teach the children when us the teachers do not have that technological knowhow,” he said.

Mlambo said the civil society should assist communities in the ICTs training so that the country joins the information society.

“You need to involve everyone in these discourses so that no one is left behind and this can be done through increasing knowledge on the use of computers and these new media technologies to key and decision makers,” said minister Mlambo.

In 2012, the president launched the national e-learning programme aimed at improving the education sector through Internet learning at primary and secondary school level.

The uptake of these computers has been also affected by lack of electricity in most rural schools where these gadgets had been donated.

There are also reports of theft of some of these computers by the teaching staff.

Zimbabwe

President Hits Out At Trump

President Mugabe has said the world is “embarrassed, if not frightened” by what appears to be a return of the biblical… Read more »

Diarra Signs Two-Year Deal at Rayon Sports

By Peter Kamasa

Malian striker Ismailla Diarra has said he is delighted after signing a two-year contract to play for Rayon Sports for a second spell until end of the 2018/19 season.

The 25-year-old led Rayon Sports to the 2016 Peace Cup title after scoring a stoppage time winner against archrivals APR FC in the final. He crossed from DR Congo side DC Mutema Pembe where he failed to impress during his stay.

Now, he could feature in the Super Cup clash against APR on Saturday at Umuganda Stadium. “Everything has been sorted out with Rayon Sports; I have signed a contract for two years,” Diarra said.

He noted that he was delighted to play for Rayon Sports again because the club is like his second home.

“I’m looking forward to scoring goals to help the team achieve our goals,” he said.

It is reported that Diarra, who has received Rwf8million as sign-on fee, will earn a monthly salary of Rwf500,000 in addition to other bonuses.

Before putting pen to paper, it had been reported that Diarra was close to signing for big-spending AS Kigali, but the Malian insists that his heart and mind were only on one team- Rayon Sports.

“I am here to play for Rayon Sports; I don’t have other plans. I came here to sign for one club. Yes, AS Kigali contacted me but I had already made up my mind to sign for Rayon,” Diarra revealed.

Meanwhile, the Azam Rwanda Premier League champions have released Diarra’s compatriot Allasane Tamboura after just one season-he returned back to Mali on Tuesday afternoon.

Rwanda

International Day of Peace Marked With Call on Youth to Foster Unity

Rwandans yesterday joined the rest of the world in marking the International Day of Peace, with a call to the youth to… Read more »

Nigeria: Senate, W/Bank Meet Over Foreign Loans Utilisation

By Ismail Mudashir

The Senate and the World Bank met yesterday over proper utilization of foreign loan especially by state governments in the country.

The senators led by the Senate leader, Ahmad Lawan (APC, Yobe) held a closed door meeting with the foreign lenders at the National Assembly.

The foreign loan requests of 10 states are currently being considered by the federal lawmakers.

Addressing newsmen at the end of the meeting, the Senate leader said they deliberated with the foreign lenders on the best approach to granting loans to state governments and how to ensure fiscal discipline.

“The National Assembly participates in a limited way in granting states loans from international agencies including the World Bank. Normally the federal government guarantees certain loans to states and therefore the National Assembly scrutinises the programmes and projects that are lined for utilisation of those loans and this is our role.

“But once the loan is granted to states then it comes out of our purview, the state legislators become the overseers of such funds and their utilisation and we have given our honest advice as members of the national assembly specifically the committee chairmen of loans and debt, state and local government, banks and other financial institutions,” he said.

He said they suggested to the World Bank how to ensure a reformed state financial environment in which loans taken would be utilised properly.

Nigeria

IMF Borrowed From Nigeria in 1974 – Former Finance Minister

Minister of Finance in the Second Republic, Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji, said yesterday the International Monetary Fund, IMF,… Read more »

Harambee Starlets Take on Zimbabwe in Cosafa Semis

By Brian Yonga

Harambee Starlets take on defending champions and hosts Zimbabwe in the semi-finals of the Cosafa Women’s Championship match at the Barbourfields Stadium in Bulawayo on Thursday.

This is expected to be Starlets’ first real test in the tournament, after coasting past their opponents in the group stages.

Starlets booked their date with Zimbabwe after a slim 1-0 win over Swaziland in their final preliminary match on Monday.

Mercy Achieng’s brilliant strike in 89th minute handed Kenya the win moving them to nine points in pool B.

Starlets had dispatched Mozambique 5-2 in their opening match before thrashing Mauritius 11-0 in their second encounter, which allowed coach Richard Kanyi to use a second string side for their final group match against Swaziland.

The game was seemingly headed for a barren draw, but Achieng’ netted late on to ensure Kenya’s perfect record remains.

Starlets forward Neddy Atieno and Mwanahalima Adam, who were rested for the match, are expected to lead the attack as the Kenyan ladies aim for a place in the final.

The other last four encounter will see rivals Zambia take on South Africa.

Kenya

Duale to Seek MPs Approval of Sh11.5 Billion for Poll

Majority Leader in the National Assembly Aden Duale says he will be requesting MPs to approve the release of Sh11.5… Read more »

Rita Deregisters More Than 230 Board of Trustees

By John Namkwahe

Dar es Salaam — Registration, Insolvency and Trusteeship Agency (Rita) on Wednesday September 20 deregistered 238 board of trustee for irregularities.

Rita also accuses the boards of failing to give feedback on the institutions which they oversee for a long time.

The decision to deregister the boards was a result of verification process conducted by the agency where the boards were found liable of violating regulations of the Trustees’ Incorporation Act of 2002.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by Rita acting Chief Executive Officer, Ms Emmy Hudson said: “We gave them a 30-day notice and they failed to provide clarification.”

After the move, Rita has asked the trustees to return Certificates of Incorporation they were given during registration.

All assets owned by the trustees have been put under the supervision of the Rita office until further notice, part of statement reads.

This is the second time Rita cancels registration of boards of trustees after recently it revoked 181 boards of trustees due to similar offence.

Meanwhile, Rita has given a notice to other trustees which were not in the first list to also submit their reports as soon as possible before further legal actions were taken.

“I encourage all trustees to continue carrying out their duties in accordance with the Trustees’ Incorporation Act,” she said.

Some of trustees which have been deregistered include the Chalinze Agricultural Development Center, Usambara Lishe Trust and Human Settlement and Services Trust Fund

Tanzania

Nairobi Doctors to Decide if Shot MP Can Fly to US

Doctors at the Nairobi Hospital will determine whether Singida East Member of Parliament Tundu Lissu is stable enough to… Read more »

Tanzania: Vodacom Tanzania to Distribute Sh6bn to M-Pesa Users

Photo: The Citizen

Vodacom M-Commerce director Sitoyo Lopokoiyit

By Citizen Reporter

Dar es Salaam — Users of Vodacom Tanzania’s M-Pesa will share Sh6 billion that the mobile operator is distributing as a bonus during the second quarter.

This is another round of distribution of earnings from M-Pesa Trust accounts covering the period between April 1 and June 30, 2017, the company said in a statement released on Wednesday September 20.

The distribution will benefit seven million active M-Pesa users country wide, according to Vodacom.

The quarterly exercise will see M-Pesa customers, agents, super agents, banks, businesses and merchants receiving their share of the bonus earned as a benefit from using the service.

“Vodacom is sharing the profit in line with the requirements from the Bank of Tanzania. With the current distribution, Vodacom will have distributed a staggering Sh86 billion since it first started sharing interest earned from M-Pesa trust accounts held with various commercial banks in the country, which is the largest combined sum of interest payments back to customers’ mobile wallets in the world,” Vodacom said.

Before this distribution, more than Sh80 billion had been distributed to the wallets of M-Pesa users in several phases, including usage benefits accumulated from the inception of the service up to March 31, 2017. The distribution covers usage benefits accumulated from the second quarter of 2017.

“The amount that one will receive as usage benefits depends on the level of activity they have had on M-Pesa since the last disbursement. Such activities include transfers, airtime purchased, bills and merchant payments to name a few,” said Vodacom M-Commerce director Sitoyo Lopokoiyit.

Tanzania

Nairobi Doctors to Decide if Shot MP Can Fly to US

Doctors at the Nairobi Hospital will determine whether Singida East Member of Parliament Tundu Lissu is stable enough to… Read more »

Etincelles Get Rwf46 Million Sponsorship Boost

By Peter Kamasa

Feza Bet, a betting company, has boosted Azam Rwanda Premier League side Etincelles Football Club with Rwf46m sponsorship spread over four years.

The firm will release Rwf10m in the first year and Rwf11m in the second. This will be followed with Rwf12m in the third year while the last installment of Rwf13m will be disbursed in the fourth year.

Meanwhile, Etincelles will play a warm-up game against fresh Agaciro tournament and AZAM Rwanda Premier League champions Rayon Sports on Wednesday; the game will be played at Umuganda Stadium.

The game is part of preparations for the next AZAM Rwanda Premier League season, which will start next weekend. The game will be used a an occasion to unveil the new signings and sponsors.

The game is being organized by Feza Bet in collaboration with Rubavu District.

The winner between Rayon Sports and Etincelles will walk away with Rwf2.5m while the loser will take Rwf1.5m.

Etincelles will start their league campaign against Police at Umuganda Stadium on September 30.

The club signed ten new players ahead of the new season and have renewed contracts of five senior players.

Today

Etincelles Vs Rayon Sports

Rwanda

Korean Community in Rwanda Celebrate National Day

The Korean community in Rwanda, together with the Embassy of the Republic of Korea, has organised ‘Korea Week’ to… Read more »

Mbeya Opt for DSE Listing

By Merali Chawe in Mbeya

MBEYA City Council has formed a company entrusting its football team, Mbeya City to a company. The move enables Mbeya City Council to own 50 per cent of shares while the remaining 50 per cent will be owned by the shareholders.

Mbeya City team’s General Secretary, Emmanuel Kimbe, unveiled yesterday in a meeting to discuss the team’s development strategies and challenges, where it was reached a decision to entrust it to the public who will own the club by buying shares.

He said currently the club faces financial constraints in daily operations due to the decline in sources of revenues in Mbeya City Council. He said they were obliged to find new approaches which will enable stakeholders to invest in the club.

Kimbe said since the government cannot list in the stock market, the City Council has decided to create a company known as Mbeya City Football Club Limited Company eligible to market the team’s shares to the public.

“We are in the final stages of listing the club into the stock market and soon our shares will be in the market, with the aim to sell over 50 per cent of shares to the public,” he said. Mbeya City become the second Premier League club to sell its shares to the public after Simba, though in a slight different approach.

However, Kimbe said they are yet to decide the kind of investment, but the plan is to sell over 50 per cent of shares.

Tanzania

State Injects U.S.$38 Million into Rural Communication

About three million Tanzanians in rural areas have accessed communication services under the Universal Communication… Read more »

Volleyball – Men’s Team Start Preps for Africa Cup of Nations

By Peter Kamasa

On Monday, Rwanda senior men’s volleyball team started preparations ahead of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations, which will also serve as the 2018 FIVB Men’s World Championships qualifiers scheduled for October 20-30 in Egypt.

Head coach Paul Bitok has named the provisional squad of 22 players from which the final team of 14 players will be selected in mid-October. Bitok is being assisted by Elie Mutabazi and Fidele Nyirimana.

The team started non-residential training on Monday at Amahoro Indoor Stadium with players being taken through physical fitness before real business starts on Tuesday.

Rwanda reached the final qualification round for 2018 FIVB Men’s World Championships after finishing as first runners-up in the FIVB-Africa Zone V Championships behind winners, Kenya, staged in Kigali in July.

Rwanda scooped silver medal after finishing second behind Kenya, who stunned the Zone V tournament hosts in the final 3-1 to claim the title but both teams qualified for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.

The second phase of the preparations, which will be the residential training camp, will start on September 26.

Provisional team:

Libero: Silvestre Ndayisaba, Bosco Mutabazi and Simon Rwigema, Setters: Jacob Cyusa, Yvan Mahoro and Jean Paul Sibomana.

Centers: Madison Placide Sibomana, Ronald, Muvara, Fred Musoni, Robert Nshimiyimana, John Nkurunziza, Prince Kanamugire and Peace Twagirayesu.

Left: Olivier Ntagengwa Olivier, Ndamukunda Flavien Christophe Mukunzi, Patrick Kavalo, Yves Mutabazi and Aimable Mutuyimana.

Right: Lawrence Yakan Guma, Nelson Murangwa and Samuel Nyogisubizo.

Rwanda

The Story Behind Kenzo, Mani Martin ‘Afro’ Remix Collabo

“When I did this song the idea was to make it a song for Africa, so when I was looking for artistes that are making it… Read more »

Subscribe To Our Mailing List

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google
    Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes