Posts tagged as: incident

Three Suspects Die, Seven Held As Police Tighten Grip

By Jimmy Lwangili

THREE suspected notorious bandits were killed and two others were arrested by the police at Vingunguti last Friday.

The Dar es Salaam Special Zone Police Commander Lazaro Mambosasa (pictured), told the journalists yesterday that the suspects were found in possession of three guns and 170 rounds of ammunition. He identified one of the killed suspects by the single name, Shafi and others as Babu Jaffari and Mbegu, alias Malon.

Mr Mambosasa explained that acting on a tip-off, the police waylaid the suspects while they were heading to warehouses in Tazara area. They were injured during an exchange of fire and died enroute to Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH) for treatment.

“The incident occurred at BECCO area,” he explained further, disclosing that a Browning pistol and three bullets were recovered at the scene.

Meanwhile, the police in Dar es Salaam have arrested Mohamed Maganga (61) and Rahma Almas alias Baby (37) over involvement in various crimes, including the killing of a South African, Mr Wayne Derrick Lotter (51), who was the Director of Palm Conservation Foundation.

Commander Mambosasa said the suspects were arrested in Upanga last Saturday and were found in illegal possession of two guns, a grenade and 167 bullets. He said the suspects, who admitted involvement in various crimes in the city, would be arraigned after completion of investigations.

In another development, five people have been arrested for allegedly breaking into the offices of Prime Attorneys at Upanga last week and stealing 3,700,000/-, two lap tops and various documents.

The suspects, who were arrested at various areas of the city, were identified as Said Idrisa Salehe (47), Mustapha Ibrahim Said (35), Somfi Uliza Somfi (52), Iman Mbago Mhina (36) and Hussein Haji Suleiman (45).

“During preliminary interrogations, the suspects admitted that they committed the crime and investigations are underway to arrest others,” said Mambosasa.

Tanzania

Govt Slaps Two-Year Ban On Weekly Newspaper Mwanahalisi

Government decision to ban Mwanahalisi weekly newspaper has been greeted with an uproar by media stakeholders and rights… Read more »

South Africa: 10 Injured As Train, Diesel Truck Collide Near Stellenbosch

Ten people were injured when a diesel truck collided with a Metrorail passenger train near Muldersvlei station outside Stellenbosch on Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

The truck was attempting to cross the railway line when the incident occurred, Western Cape traffic department spokesperson Daniel Meyer told News24.

He said the truck was not carrying any diesel at the time of the incident and, therefore, posed no combustion risk.

One train carriage was derailed. Delays of up to 60 minutes should be expected on the Wellington line due to the incident, Metrorail tweeted.

The extent of injuries incurred by passengers was still unclear.

Local authorities were deployed to the scene for further investigation.

Source: News24

South Africa

Euthanasia Back in Courts As Doctor Fights for Right to Die

The right of terminally ill individuals to end their life when, and how, they choose has been a battle fought before… Read more »

Police Imposter Goes Undetected for Six Months at Uhuru Camp

Photo: Justice for All Nigeria
By Stella Cherono

A police imposter lived, dined and mingled with Administration Police officers at the Uhuru Camp for six months without being detected.

The man identified as Kennedy Mojong Ekale, 26, even had full AP uniform including jungle trousers, camouflage jacket, jungle shirt, a red belt, a lanyard, a jungle hat and a raincoat.

He also had two T-shirts.

The Uhuru Camp normally hosts APs attached to Securing of Government Buildings Unit, under which bodyguards attached to VIPs also serve.

Police officers had on Thursday interrogated the officer on why he never appeared on the duty roaster and why he had never accompanied anyone for assignment.

NO FRIENDS

“This guy has been putting on the uniform, going out alone and coming back to the camp in the evening,” a police constable said.

He said the imposter did not have any friends and used to go out alone, unlike the others who have been going out in batches, mostly being picked by police vehicles.

It is not clear whether and how the man was allocated a house which is usually done under strict adherence to directions from seniors.

“I have never seen him with a gun but it is crazy because this means he has been seeing and hearing what he should not,” the officer said, adding that it was scary to think that an imposter slept with officers who may have had guns and ammunitions.

COURT

Lang’ata OCPD Elijah Maina confirmed that the imposter had been in cells at the police station and said he would be arraigned in court on Monday.

This incident comes just two months after a police imposter, Mr Joshua Waiganjo, was released on a Sh500, 000 bond by a Naivasha court after over four years in custody.

He had been charged with five counts of impersonation and possessing police uniforms.

He denied the charges.

Kenya

Duale to Seek MPs Approval of Sh11.5 Billion for Poll

Majority Leader in the National Assembly Aden Duale says he will be requesting MPs to approve the release of Sh11.5… Read more »

South Africa: Armed Group Ambushes Cape Town Metrorail Officers

Two Metrorail protection services officials were forced to flee for their lives after a group of around 20 men ambushed them near Bonteheuwel station, a spokesperson said on Monday.

Bonteheuwel station is about 15km east of the Cape Town CBD.

The officers were driving along the railway line during a routine patrol on Friday night when they spotted men near an apparatus case that had recently been repaired after being vandalised, said Metrorail spokesperson Riana Scott.

Metrorail apparatus cases contain copper wires that regulate signals.

They approached the case and more men appeared, with at least three carrying guns “openly and threateningly”.

Scott said the officials were unarmed and radioed for assistance.

However, they were forced to abandon their vehicle and fled in fear for their lives.

The group ransacked the vehicle, slashed the tyres, broke the windows and removed the battery.

The vehicle had to be towed away later.

Counselling for officials

Metrorail is offering a reward of up to R25 000 for information leading to a conviction.

Police are investigating charges of intimidation and malicious damage to property.

The officials would be debriefed and receive trauma counselling.

Regional manager Richard Walker said the incident was blatant thuggery and lawlessness.

“We cannot continue to protect commuters, employees and infrastructure at stations and on trains amidst crime-infested surrounds.”

He called on the police and law enforcement to act against criminals who operate in areas around train stations.

Source: News24

South Africa

Flames, Rubber Bullets Mark Cape Town #TaxiStrike

Rubber bullets were fired into a group of people throwing stones at buses and police in Du Noon, north of Cape Town, on… Read more »

Overheating Solar Batteries Caused Fire at MP’s House – Police

By Citizen Reporter

Kigoma — Overheating of a solar batteries has been cited as a source of fire that gutted down Kigoma Urban Member of Parliament house Mr Zitto Kabwe on Saturday.

This was revealed RPC, Ferdinand Mtui revealed this, when he spoke to reporters on Sunday afternoon.

On Saturday evening fire destroyed a house belonging to outspoken ACT Wazalendo party leader Zitto Kabwe.

The property in Kibingo, Mwandiga Ward, Kigoma Region, was Mr Zitto’s first house, built in 2005 when he vied for the Kigoma North Constituency legislative post, the first time on a Chadema ticket.

His assistant, Mr Mustapha Nyembo, confirmed the incident, adding that the property was located on the same compound as the house that the lawmaker lives in at the moment.

Tanzania

Gold Production At Bulyanhulu Mine to Be Slashed By Over Half

Gold production at Bulyanhulu mine will be almost halved when an alternative method of processing the precious metal is… Read more »

Nigeria: 50, Including Children Allegedly Drown in Niger Boat Accident

Photo: Premium Times

(file photo).

No fewer than 50 persons, including children and youths, have been reported dead in a boat mishap in Niger state.

The incident said to have occurred in the early hours of Sunday was due to a heavy rainfall in the morning while the victims were in a boat sailing, over 60 of them, going to Zumba market in Shiroro Local Government Area of the state.

However, the tide of the water, according to reports, became too much for the boat conveying them, leading to it capsizing at Kiri village in Munya Local Government area of Niger State.

Details soon…

Nigeria

Release Recovered Loot to States, APC Chieftain Advises Buhari

A governorship aspirant in Ekiti State and former member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Bimbo Daramola, has… Read more »

Another Swiss National Resident At the Coast Killed, Ocean Used for Body Dump

Mombasa — Police have launched investigation into the killing of another Swiss national in Mtwapa, Kilifi County.

Police reports indicated that Mocer Max was killed and his body dumped in the Indian Ocean by unknown people on Saturday.

Regional police boss Larry Kieng said detectives have launched a probe into the incident that has raised concerns for the safety of foreigners in the country.

“The body of the deceased had deep head injuries, we suspect he was killed and body dumped in the ocean,” he stated.

Kieng said Max had lived in the country for over 10 years within Mtwapa area.

The body was moved to Pandya Hospital for postmortem.

In August, a Swiss couple was murdered and bodies dumped by the roadside in Mombasa.

Werner Borner Paul and Marrianne Borner landed at Moi International Airport on the night of August 20 and were accosted as they entered their compound by people suspected to be workers.

Kenya

Duale to Seek MPs Approval of Sh11.5 Billion for Poll

Majority Leader in the National Assembly Aden Duale says he will be requesting MPs to approve the release of Sh11.5… Read more »

South Africa: 68 People Aboard Sinking Robben Island Ferry ‘Safely Ashore’

Photo: National Sea Rescue Institute

NSRI volunteers assist 68 people rescued from a sinking Ferry in Table Bay.

Sixty eight passengers aboard a damaged Robben Island ferry have all been safely evacuated from the sinking vessel, authorities said on Friday afternoon.

City of Cape Town spokesperson Theo Layne said the passengers were removed from the vessel and ferried to the ferry jetty. The vessel was still out at sea.

It was earlier reported that 69 passengers were aboard the vessel, but Layne said it was now believed that 68 passengers were on board.

He said no one was believed to be missing, but rescue divers were at the scene to check if any one had been left behind. “We are doing a headcount as we speak,” he said.Layne was unable to say how badly the ferry had been damaged or how far out it was from shore.

He said rescue operations were being complicated by extremely high seas and strong winds. Cape Town Harbour spokesperson Coen Birkenstock said port control was informed of the incident at 14:20.

Two NSRI teams and a port pilot Boat Patrol were deployed to the scene, Birkenstock said.

Source: News24

South Africa

Top Global Audit Firm Cleans Out Its South African Stables

The scandal over the “capture” of the South African state by President Jacob Zuma’s friends, the Gupta… Read more »

Moi Girls’ High School Bids Farewell to Dorm Fire Victims

By Pauline Kairu

The Moi Girls’ High School Nairobi principal spoke publicly for the first time on Thursday since the fire at the institution two weeks ago that killed nine girls.

Mrs Jael Mureithi relived the moments immediately after the fire in an emotional memorial service for the departed students, moving those in attendance to tears.

“This is one speech that no school administrator would ever wish to give,” said Mrs Mureithi, at the moving service held at the school. “It is one assembly that no teacher would want to attend. But we are here.”

The mass was attended by Form Four students ahead of their return to the school on Friday after a short break following the tragedy. Also present were Education PS Belio Kipsang, Deputy President’s wife Rachel Ruto, Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja, Nairobi Woman Rep Esther Passaris and Kibra MP Ken Okoth.

CRY FOR HELP

On September 2 the country woke up to the horror of a fire in one of the dormitories at the school in which eight girls were found dead.

A ninth succumbed to injuries sustained in the fire in hospital the following day. The pictures of the nine girls formed a shrine in the middle of the memorial grounds in the school field. Two girls are still in hospital with injuries.

Mrs Mureithi, who since the incident has stayed in the shadows and avoided the media, said teachers had moved with speed, some of them not fully clothed, to rescue the girls when they heard a cry for help from one of the security officers.

NAKEDNESS

“We all rushed, not thinking of our nakedness. We tried to get as many girls out as we could. And our expectation had been that we had gotten all the girls out. It is only after the fire had died down that we discovered that we had lost some,” she said in a touching account that threw grief stricken parents and relatives attending the event into an emotional breakdown. Most could be seen shedding tears or being consoled by stronger relatives and friends who sat by their side.

The school’s head said the incident had brought great sadness to the school community. She said the incident had shaken the foundation of the school, and shattered the confidence and lives of the students left behind.

Board chairman Wesley Misoi said they had beefed up security at the institution the night before the incident happened.

“That Friday, we had tried to beef up security. There were security agencies and Lavington Security team were securing the school. Little did we know that inside the institution we might have an enemy,” he said, adding that the discovery of the bodies had broken them. “When looking at it — not in my capacity as a PS — but as a parent with children of the ages of these ones in high school, it is really tough that we have lost young ones. Young ones who would have made a difference in this country,” said Dr Kipsang.

MEDICAL BILLS

The government has so far undertaken to pay the medical bills of those who have been hospitalised from the tragedy, as well the DNA identification process and mortuary services. It will also hand over Sh100,000 to the parents of the bereaved for burial ceremonies, said Dr Kipsang.

Mrs Ruto said: “As a mother, I stand here today to say that we will stand with you as the Lord enables us.”

Mr Okoth, the area MP, said it was important to learn from the tragedy the need to pay attention to children’s mental health and safety standards and precautions in schools.

“We have safety standards for schools, specifications for dormitories, evacuation ways, corridor sizes, door sizes, window rules about grilles. If the pain we feel now doesn’t make us set those standards and make sure they are implemented, then our girls will have died in vain,” he added. He called on all parents and schools boards to ensure the rules are followed.

DONATIONS

He said some Sh40 million is required urgently for the reconstruction of the burnt dormitory. Towards this end, the leaders made personal donations and pledges including that from the government of about Sh32 million. “The Kenyan people need to know that the school needs Sh8 million to build the dormitory quickly,” the MP added.

Mr Sonko said his administration would initiate fire and emergency drills in all the county schools and other public institutions to ensure better preparedness in the event of similar accidents.

Mr Sakaja said he would ensure schools within Nairobi County implement the safety code.

Malawi: Fall Army Worm Attack Winter Maize in Salima

By Agness Manda

Salima — The fall army worm which surfaced last farming season has heavily affected winter irrigation crops in some parts of Salima District, MANA has learnt.

Following the incident, the agriculture office in Salima has advised famers to take note of army worms and any strange things they see in their fields.

In an interview with the Malawi News Agency (mana) the crops officer in Salima, Jayaka Kipandula admitted that the fall army worm remains a threat.

“The fall army worms are new in the country and therefore, farmers should frequently be monitoring their fields and observe the lava early stage, this helps to control it when applied with pesticide such as cypermethrin, deltamethrin and other chemicals,” said Kipandula.

Kipandula also advised the farmers that whenever they observe army worms or any strange worms they should quickly report to agriculture offices such as Extension Planning Areas to be assisted with pesticides.

One of the lead famers from Lithipe irrigation scheme, Edrina Kenamu complained she will not make any profit from winter cropping after the army worm damaged her maize field.

“We expect to make massive losses as our investment has been heavily damaged by the worms and the sad thing is that the pesticides that agriculture authorities are telling us to apply are not working as such we feel like they are not helping us,” said Kenamu.

Malawi

Malnutrition-Free Week Campaign Launched

In an effort to reduce malnutrition rate in Mchinji, a local nongovernmental organization has launched one week… Read more »

Subscribe To Our Mailing List

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google
    Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes