Posts tagged as: beach

Kenya: Turkish Plane Makes Emergency Landing in Mombasa

Photo: Mohamed Ahmed/Daily Nation

Some of the passengers who were on the Turkish Airlines flight that made an emergency landing in Mombasa on October 13, 2017.

By Mohamed Ahmed

A Turkish Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing in Mombasa after a bird was sucked into one of the engines.

The incident happened shortly after take off early Friday.

The flight was bound for Istanbul from Moi International Airport, Mombasa taking off at around 3am.

The plane landed safely at the airport and there were no injuries of passengers or staff, Coast police boss Larry Kieng said.

121 passengers and six cabin crew were were provided overnight accommodation a the Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort.

Kenya

Ban on Anti-Polls Body Demos Sparks Storm

The stage has been set for confrontation between National Super Alliance (Nasa) and the police on Friday in Nairobi,… Read more »

Kenya:Turkish Plane Makes Emergency Landing in Mombasa

Photo: Mohamed Ahmed/Daily Nation

Some of the passengers who were on the Turkish Airlines flight that made an emergency landing in Mombasa on October 13, 2017.

By Mohamed Ahmed

A Turkish Airlines flight was forced to make an emergency landing in Mombasa after a bird was sucked into one of the engines.

The incident happened shortly after take off early Friday.

The flight was bound for Istanbul from Moi International Airport, Mombasa taking off at around 3am.

The plane landed safely at the airport and there were no injuries of passengers or staff, Coast police boss Larry Kieng said.

121 passengers and six cabin crew were were provided overnight accommodation a the Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort.

Kenya

20 Arrested For Violating Plastic Ban Order

The National Environment and Management Authority (NEMA) on Friday said they have so far arrested 20 people for… Read more »

Top Pros Face-Off in Diani Beach Masters

By Larry Ngala

Kenya’s professional golfers return to the once popular Diani Beach Masters this year to chase a Sh1 shillings purse courtesy of title sponsors Prime Bank.

At least 40 local professionals and others from across East Africa and beyond, are expected at the Leisure Lodge Golf and Beach Resort in Diani, Kwale County from October 18 to 21.

The event, which was started way back in 1998 to commemorate the official opening of the 18-hole course, started as a Pro-Am event though along the way, it was upgraded to attain the Golfer of The Year status.

It was however changed a few of years ago though this is the first time that the pros are making a come back. It will be the first event the pros will be participating locally since the Barclays Kenya Open in March, but the second one in less than a month, following the Tusker Malt Uganda Open at Uganda Golf Club Kampala two weeks ago.

The first round of the pro event is set for October 18 though the amateurs will join the pros in the last two rounds on October 20 and 21.

Among the pros who have already confirmed participation include the long hitting Dismas Indiza, Thika’s Simon Ngige, Greg Snow, David Opati, Brian Njoroge, Mathew Omondi and Nyali’s Njuguna Nguigi among others.

It will be a busy week at the Coast as while the pros will be at Leisure Lodge, the country’s leading amateurs will be at Nyali for the 2017 Kenya Open Amateur Championship which returns to the course for the first time since 2008.

This being the only 72 hole stroke play championship for amateurs in the country – which is also a World Amateur Ranking event whose winner qualifies for the 2018 Barclays Kenya Open – it is expected to attract all the leading amateurs from Kenya and the other East Africa countries.

Kenya

Duale to Seek MPs Approval of Sh11.5 Billion for Poll

Majority Leader in the National Assembly Aden Duale says he will be requesting MPs to approve the release of Sh11.5… Read more »

Comedian Njugush Lands a ‘Good Deal’ as Brand Ambassador

Photo: Njugush/Facebook

Njugush.

Comedian Timothy Kimani, alias Njugush, has landed a deal as the brand ambassador for Pwani Oil Products.

Njugush was unveiled in his new role on Friday evening during the launch of White Wash Extra, a laundry bar soap, at the Serena Beach Hotel in Mombasa.

Pwani Oil Products Commercial Director Mr Rajul Malde said the company decided to settle on Njugush due to his talent in comedy.

He said the comedian will market the 200gm bar soap which will be in shelves starting this week and will sell at Sh40.

Mr Malde said the company had to find a new way of branding, marketing and communication.

“That is why they settled on the comedian. We are proud that he became our brand ambassador, we hope you keep flying the flag of White Wash Extra high. We had to find something that would stand out from the existing hardcore communication on functional benefits of powders and bar soaps in the Kenyan media,” he added.

During the ceremony, termed the deal as too good.

He said the endorsement is an assurance that corporates are now tapping into talents in the country.

“Although I cannot reveal how much I was paid, but I confirm that it is a good deal and I am very happy. This is a clear indication Pwani Oil Products is supporting local talents,” he said.

Njugush hit the limelight when he acted in The Real House helps of Kawangware .

Kenya

Duale to Seek MPs Approval of Sh11.5 Billion for Poll

Majority Leader in the National Assembly Aden Duale says he will be requesting MPs to approve the release of Sh11.5… Read more »

Coast Hotels Offer Madaraka Express Packages to Boost Domestic Tourism

Mombasa — Hotels in Mombasa and the wider coast region are reaping from the Madaraka Express SGR train service, registering a marked improvement of domestic tourists in the last four months.

Hotels such as Diani Reef Beach Resort are now offering local tourists up to 30 percent discount on packages that include the train ride from Nairobi to Mombasa.

According to the Managing Director of Diani Reef, Bobby Kamani, the SGR infrastructure has provided an additional impetus to the tourism sector in the region.

“We believe that the 30 percent discounted rate will enable many of the domestic tourists take advantage of the tourism opportunities within the South Coast and more so to our facility,” says Kamani.

Mr.Kamani said that the SGR will boost transport accessibility by complimenting the almost accomplished Dongo-Kundu bypass that will open up tourism in South Coast:

“We believe this will go a long way in boosting tourism in South Coast. We know that the Dongo-Kundu bypass will be completed in first quarter of 2018 and this will reduce the transport mayhem that has been experienced for many years by tourists having difficulty accessing South Coast via the ferry terminal.”

Madaraka Express transported about 75,000 passengers in the first month of operation with Kenya Railways adding Voi and Mtito Andei as stopovers in August.

Kenya

Duale to Seek MPs Approval of Sh11.5 Billion for Poll

Majority Leader in the National Assembly Aden Duale says he will be requesting MPs to approve the release of Sh11.5… Read more »

Demolitions Leave Hundreds Homeless

By By Geofrey Kimani News@tz.nationmedia.com

More than 100 Ishozi families in the Busanye Forest Reserve in Misenyi District had their houses demolished and crops set to fire last week.

The operation was led by Misenyi District Commissioner Denis Mwila. The DC said the villagers were issued with a five-month notice from May 6 to voluntarily evacuate, but they didn’t comply.

He noted that more than 1,000 hectares of the forest had been destroyed by human activities, including felling trees for charcoal making.

“Busanye Forest Reserve covers 7,000 hectares. The remaining vegetation must be protected from encroachment,” he stressed. But the villagers claim they bought their land legally. One of them, Mr Ali Ismail, said he had been living in Ishozi Village said to be in the forest reserve, since the 1960s. “Despite the ultimatum I did not have land to move to,” he said.

Misenyi Municipal Council Chairman Projestus Tegamaisho said many villagers had not been following legal procedures to acquire land. In addition, he said the Municipal Council was set to deploy militia police to guard the forest reserve.

Tanzania

Traders Discover Three Bodies On Coco Beach

Three unidentified bodies were found at the famous Coco Beach on the shores of the Indian Ocean in Kinondoni… Read more »

Lack of Funds Stalls Burundians’ Return From Tanzania

By Alloyce Kimbunga

Dar-Es-Salam — THOUSANDS of Burundian refugees remain in Tanzania as international migration agencies battle to raise funds to enable their return home. The 12 000 refugees have appealed to the government of Tanzania and United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to facilitate their return. At the end of August, Burundi, Tanzania and UNHCR signed an agreement on the Voluntary Repatriation of Burundian Refugees in Tanzania, which initiated the return process since stalled by funding challenges. The appeal would support an estimated 1 400 people including returnees and host community members in the Burundian provinces of Kirundo, Makamba, Muyinga, Rutana and Ruyigi. At least US$450 000 (R6 million) is needed to transport voluntarily returnees. Further $ 3,2 million is needed for assistance once they arrive in Burundi. Dr Qasim Sufi, International Organisation of Migration chief of mission to Tanzania, said coordinating transport and reintegration support on this scale inherently had its challenges. “However, the biggest challenge we and our partners are facing at the moment is a funding shortage,” Sufi said. He said without international support, they would not be able to help those who had volunteered to go back home. “We appeal for funds so those who have voluntarily registered return home with safety and dignity and so that they can build a meaningful life there.” To date, IOM convoys have transported 1 666 refugees back to Burundi. Some 280 000 refugees fled Burundi into Tanzania after the political crisis and upsurge in violence in 2015. This emanated from President Pierre Nkurunziza retaining power despite the lapse of his mandate. Some 80 percent of the refugees are women and children. – CAJ News

Tanzania

Traders Discover Three Bodies On Coco Beach

Three unidentified bodies were found at the famous Coco Beach on the shores of the Indian Ocean in Kinondoni… Read more »

Finscope to Reveal Citizens Financial Behaviour

By Alvar Mwakyusa

TANZANIANS financial behaviour on how to generate and manage incomes in the last few years will feature high on findings of a new FinScope report.

The report, the fourth edition of FinScope Survey 2017, will be unveiled in Dar es Salaam this Thursday. According to FinScope, the survey provides an overview of financial behaviour of Tanzanians in terms of uptake and usage of financial services and highlights factors that prohibit and drive the habits.

Speaking yesterday ahead of the launch, the Chairperson of FinScope Survey 2017 Technical Committee from Bank of Tanzania (BoT), Dr Deogratius Macha, said the survey highlights achievements and challenges in the financial sector.

“The upcoming survey shows feelings of the market towards financial services, further showing how the same products and services in the market have been fairing. “It also gives the perception that consumers have of those products,” he explained.

The first FinScope survey was conducted in 2006, followed by other studies in 2009 and 2013. The BoT official noted that the previous surveys had put focus only at regional level in terms of analysis, but the new study had gone far to the district level.

The Financial Sector Deepening Trust of Tanzania (FSDT) took the lead in developing and managing the research for FinScope Survey 2017, reporting and sharing data with the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), to make sure that the design and quality were up to scratch.

The FSDT Head of Research, Mr Elvis Mushi, said that even with all the work done by the government and the financial services sector, financial exclusion in Tanzania is still quite high. “This means that millions of people are still poor because they have difficulties accessing and using financial services because they are too far away, too expensive or they seem too complicated to use,” he said.

A representative with Ipsos Tanzania, Mr Eliamani Mmanyi, noted that for FinScope 2017, sampling was collected from 10,000 respondents as opposed to 8,000 in the past studies.

The Vice-Chairperson of the Steering Committee of FinScope 2017 and Senior Researcher from REPOA, Dr Blandina Kilama, said one of the significant findings of the survey is the behaviour of peoples’ access to finances, how they largely depend on family members for cash which they subsequently use to invest.

Tanzania

Traders Discover Three Bodies On Coco Beach

Three unidentified bodies were found at the famous Coco Beach on the shores of the Indian Ocean in Kinondoni… Read more »

What Diamond’s Dad Wants Zari to Know About Hamisa

By Thomas Matiko

Just as the Diamond-Zari love storm seems to be settling down, the crooner’s father has weighed in on the matter of his much publicised affair with video vixen Hamisa Mobeto.

Diamond recently confessed to having cheated on Zari with Hamisa and siring a son with the model.

Zari took to her social media platforms thereafter to share one cryptic message after another, claiming in one of the messages that she did not know of the affair as Diamond had alleged in an interview. However, on Monday, after she celebrated her 38th birthday over the weekend, Zari took to Snapchat to share a video of her being driven to the gym by Diamond. In the video, Zari panned the camera around the car for fans to see Diamond on the steering wheel. She was in the company of one of Diamond-owned Wasafi Records artiste Harmonize who sat at the back. She later uploaded another video where Diamond is seen shopping with their son Nillan.

VISITED GRANDSON

In a video uploaded by a popular Tanzanian blog, Abdul Naseeb shared his thoughts about the Diamond love triangle after visiting his grandson Abdulatifah upon Hamisa’s invitation.

Abdul Naseeb wants the two women (who are both Muslims) to recognise each other as co-wives and co-exist peacefully as per the teaching of their religion that allows a man to marry up to four women as long as he is able to provide for them fully.

“Mimi mwanzo nikiwa kama baba Diamond, ningependwa mwanzo Zari aniletee wajukuu zangu niwaone au anaweza kuniambia sehemu gani niende nikawaone. Halafu pili awe na moyo wa uvumilivu, mtoto wa kiume huwa mtu wa kudanganywa na mradi kashaambiwa kuna mke mwenzio basi hapo kikubwa ni kuwa na heshima na adabu. Zari kama Zari na Hamisa kama Hamisa waheshimiane wawe pamoja waangalie maisha. Zari asipende kuwasikiza waswahili akae angalie yake na Hamisa pia..” Adul Naseeb has voiced.

(First of all I would like to ask Zari to bring me my grandkids so that I can see them. Secondly, Zari should have a heart of humility, boys are bound to make mistakes and because she has now been informed that she has a co-wife, all they need to do is have respect for each other. Zari and Hamisa should co-exist peacefully as they carry on with their daily lives. These things do happen.)

Tanzania

Traders Discover Three Bodies On Coco Beach

Three unidentified bodies were found at the famous Coco Beach on the shores of the Indian Ocean in Kinondoni… Read more »

Arusha to Bury Abandoned Body of Children Kidnapper Suspect

By Mussa Juma

Arusha — Body of an alleged kidnapper, who was said to have confessed that he killed two children in Arusha, Mr Samson Petro, 28, is expected to be buried by Arusha city council after being abandoned by his relatives.

Mr Fransis Costa, who works in a mortuary at Arusha hospital, revealed that the deceased body was still in the mortuary where it has stayed for so long awaiting for burial, but the deceased’s relatives did not show up.

“We usually report to the city council whenever the bodies stay for long time here without being picked by their relatives. The city council, therefore, is responsible to organise the burial procedures,” he said.

Petro was shot by police on September 7, after he reportedly attempted to abscond when he was leading the law enforcers to a location where he has hidden one of the children he abducted.

Police shot him in the leg and was rushed to the Mount Meru hospital where he died due to heavy bleeding.

The 18-year-old Petro, who until recently was living in Arusha, was the only main suspect in the brutal killing of Moureen Daudi (6) and Ikram Salim (3) whose bodies were found dumped in a pit on Tuesday in Olasiti ward.

The kidnappers had demanded ransom amounting to millions of shillings in order to release them.

The children were kidnapped while playing outside their homes between August 21 and 26. Two other children, Bakari Selemani and Ayoub Fred, were also reported to have been kidnapped in the same area were later released but it could not be established if any ransom was paid by their parents.

Tanzania

Traders Discover Three Bodies On Coco Beach

Three unidentified bodies were found at the famous Coco Beach on the shores of the Indian Ocean in Kinondoni… Read more »

Subscribe To Our Mailing List

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google
    Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes