Zimbabwe: Villagers Contract Suspected Anthrax After Eating Dead Hippos

Nine villagers from northern Zimbabwe have contracted suspected anthrax after eating the meat of dead hippos, the state broadcaster is reporting.

The Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) said as many as 58 villagers ate the meat in Saba village, Binga district.

The type of anthrax the nine appear to have contracted is cutaneous anthrax, as most human anthrax infections are. With proper treatment, most people who contract this kind of anthrax survive.

However, the incident is extremely worrying given the large number of people who may have been exposed to the hippo meat.

Anthrax spores can survive in the environment for decades.

Local authorities and conservationists initially thought the mysterious deaths of up to 11 hippos in the district this month were due to pesticide use.

The number of dead hippos has now gone up to 16.

Some possibly-infected hippo meat was found on sale mixed with goat meat in a butchery, according to a medical officer quoted by ZBC.

News24

Zimbabwe

Zambia and Zimbabwe – Why Fair Elections Are Essential for Africa’s Development

Zimbabwe is used as a case study of a broken society; a country in which those in power concern themselves only with… Read more »

Originally from: 

Zimbabwe: Villagers Contract Suspected Anthrax After Eating Dead Hippos

Метки: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Short URL: http://www.eabizinfo.com/?p=98311

Posted by on Apr 21 2017. Filed under Health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google
    Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes